Terpenes are classified as organic compounds. Different strains of cannabis have a wide variety of smells and tastes. Many terpenes affect the aroma and flavor profile of cannabis. By mapping out the terpene profiles, we can predict and manipulate them. Changing the smell and flavor is pretty cool, but it’s not even the most exciting part about terpene research.
Some terpenes have been found to have medicinal benefits. That means, there are non-psychoactive compounds that can be used to safely treat an array of medical conditions. There are a ton of different terpenes in cannabis, but here are 11 profiles you should know about.
- Physiological FX – Relaxing, Anti-Anxiety, Anti-Cancer, Anti-Nausea, Anti-Depressant
- Scents – Lemon, Orange, Grapefruit, Bergamot, Citrus
- Physiological FX –Sedative, Anti-Inflamatory, Muscle Relaxant, Pain Relieving
- Scents – Sour, Mangoes, Citrus, Hops. Fruity
- Physiological FX – Anti-Anxiety, Sedative, Pain-Relieving, Anti-Convulsant
- Scents – Floral, Lavendar, Clary Sage, Hops
- Physiological FX – Anti-Inflamatory, Anti-Bacteria
- Scents – Floral
Delta 3 Carene
- Physiological FX – Anti-Inflamatory
- Scents – Piney , earthy
- Physiological FX – analgesic, anti-insomnia, anti-septic, bronchodilator
- Scents – Earthy, camphor.
Alpha-Pinene / Beta-Pinene
- Physiological FX – Focusing, Alerting, Memory Enhancer, Anti-Inflammatory
- Scents – Pine, Sharp, Fresh
- Physiological FX – Alerting, Memory Enhancer, Stimulating, Sinus Decongestant
- Scents – Spicy, Refreshing, Camphor, Woodsy, Rosemary
- Physiological FX – antioxidant
- Scents – Pine, clove.
- Physiological FX – Sedative, Anti-Inflamatory, Anti-Nausea
- Scents – Pepper, Clove, Spicy, Woodsy, Hoppy.
- Physiological FX – anti inflammatory, antibiotic, antiviral, antinociceptive.
- Scents – Herbal
- Physiological FX – Memory Enhancer, Sedative, Chest Desongestant
- Scents – Minty, Coolin, Icy, Refreshing.
- Physiological FX – Relaxing, Anti-Anxiety, Sedative
- Scents – Flowery, Woodsy